One of the most popular tourist destinations near Delhi is Agra, home to the magnificent Taj Mahal. Many visitors plan a day trip from Delhi to Agra to explore this iconic monument and other historical landmarks in the city. While it is possible to take a train or bus to Agra, hiring a tempo traveller from Delhi is a convenient and comfortable option, especially for larger groups or families.
Here is a complete guide to exploring the heritage monuments in Agra on a day trip from Delhi with a tempo traveller hire:
- Start Early
It is advisable to start your day trip early, preferably before sunrise, to avoid the crowds and heat. Your tempo traveller driver can pick you up from your location in Delhi and take you directly to Agra, which is around 220 km away and takes around 3-4 hours to reach.
- Visit the Taj Mahal
The Taj Mahal is undoubtedly the most popular attraction in Agra and a must-visit for anyone traveling to the city. This magnificent monument was built in the 17th century by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal. The white marble structure is a symbol of eternal love and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Your tempo traveller can drop you off at the entrance, and you can spend a few hours exploring the Taj Mahal and its beautiful gardens.
- Explore Agra Fort
After visiting the Taj Mahal, the next stop on your Agra itinerary should be the Agra Fort, which is another UNESCO World Heritage Site. This red sandstone fort was built in the 16th century and served as the main residence of the Mughal Emperors until the capital was shifted to Delhi. The fort has several beautiful palaces, mosques, and gardens, and it is recommended to hire a guide to learn about the history and architecture of the fort.
- Lunch Break
After exploring the Agra Fort, you can take a break for lunch and sample some of the local delicacies in Agra. Some popular dishes include Mughlai biryani, kebabs, and tandoori chicken. Your tempo traveller driver can recommend some good restaurants in the city or take you to a place of your choice.
- Visit Itmad-ud-Daulah’s Tomb
After lunch, you can visit Itmad-ud-Daulah’s Tomb, also known as the “Baby Taj.” This tomb is often referred to as a draft of the Taj Mahal and is located on the banks of the Yamuna River. The tomb was built in the 17th century by the Empress Noor Jahan in memory of her father, and it is adorned with intricate marble carvings and inlaid with precious stones.
- Explore Mehtab Bagh
Mehtab Bagh is a beautiful garden complex located across the Yamuna River from the Taj Mahal. This garden is a perfect spot to view the Taj Mahal at sunset and is less crowded than the main complex. You can take a leisurely stroll in the garden or enjoy a picnic with your group before heading back to Delhi.
- Return to Delhi
After a day of exploring the heritage monuments in Agra, your tempo traveller driver can take you back to Delhi. You can relax in the comfortable seats and enjoy the scenic drive back to the city.
Tips for Planning a One-Day Trip from Delhi to Agra
- Book a Tempo Traveller: It is highly recommended to hire a tempo traveller for your one-day trip to Agra from Delhi. A tempo traveller provides a comfortable and convenient mode of transportation, especially if you are travelling in a group. You can opt for a 9 seater tempo traveller in Delhi or a 12 seater tempo traveller in Delhi, depending on your group size.
- Start Early: As mentioned earlier, it is recommended to start your journey early in the morning to avoid the rush hour traffic and make the most of your day trip.
- Carry Snacks and Water: It is advisable to carry some snacks and water bottles with you, especially if you are travelling with children.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Agra is a city of monuments, and you will have to do a lot of walking while exploring the places. It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes to avoid any discomfort.
Day trip from Delhi to Agra is a must-do for anyone interested in history and architecture. Hiring a tempo traveller in Delhi is a convenient and comfortable way to explore the city, and a 9 seater tempo traveller is perfect for small groups or families. With this guide, you can plan a memorable day trip to Agra and explore the best heritage monument.